Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Opposite of Love Winner

Irreverent Freelancer is this week's winner and Julie Buxbaum is answering her question from Istanbul. "Irreverent," please send me your snail mail address so I can send you Julie's book! And, Jodi, I'm still awaiting your address as well.
fivecoat@ozarkmountains.com


Question:

As someone who lost my mother as a teenager, I only recently
fully grieved that loss when I recently lost my grandmother (who took
over the motherly role). I don't know how much of yourself goes into
your writing, but did you find yourself reliving some of your own
losses while writing this book? And if so, did you find the process
painful or cathartic?

From Julie:

I find the act of writing cathartic pretty much regardless of the
topic. It would be naïve of me to say that none of my own experiences
with loss went into THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE, but since Emily's story
wasn't my own story, the experience was never painful. (Though it was
painful on those mornings when I just couldn't articulate what I
wanted to say!). Oddly enough, the scenes in the book that most made
me cry when I wrote them--and to be honest, I'm not sure whether most
writers are weird like I am and make themselves laugh and cry--were
scenes that even if I had wanted to I couldn't find a parallel in my
own life. (For example when Emily fights with her dad in the
hospital.) That said, in my second book I keep finding myself
returning to certain themes--loss being one of them--and so I do
wonder if a huge part of why I write is purely for the cathartic
experience of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Thanks for the great response!

10:12 AM CDT  
Blogger Sydney said...

Mind-blowing! I am feeling too glad after reading all these poems. I think these are wonderful i like it. I have no words for its compliment. I am always getting too much enjoyment after reading these exciting poems. Great post i look forward to reading more!
Sydney
Cv interview questions

5:10 AM CST  
Blogger ابو السيد said...



بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم نحن فى شركة الكمال نقوم بجميع خدمات نقل العفش والاساس بافض الطرق تحت اشراف

فريق كبير مدرب على اعلى مستوى من المستويات مع الفك والتركيب
شركة نقل اثاث بالطائف
شركة نقل اثاث بجازان
شركة نقل اثاث بحائل
شركة نقل اثاث ونقل عفش بحائل
والسلامة عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته



3:36 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tutorial mah cuma ngajarin cara main bukan ngajarin cara menangnya, yang bagus mah jelasin tutorial + cara menangnya
asikqq
dewaqq
sumoqq
interqq
pionpoker
bandar ceme
betgratis
paito warna
forum prediksi

11:32 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home